We are a global community of surf therapy practitioners & researchers harnessing the power of collaboration and the ocean to advance the use of surf therapy as a mental and physical health intervention.
Advocating for surf therapy to be used globally to improve mental health. The International Surf Therapy Org is developing industry standards, ethics, and risk management, but our most significant contribution to the field is facilitating high impact research on the effectiveness of surf therapy.
Inclusive access to safe surf therapy.
Universal acceptance of surf therapy through prescription.
We hosted our 3rd annual conference in the South Bay of Los Angeles along with the first-ever public-facing Symposium dedicated to surf therapy, featuring 40-guest speakers with over 200-attendees. We finished the ISTO Symposium with a surf therapy session at El Porto, Manhattan Beach serving vulnerable youth, Veterans, Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and first-responders.
- Provide access to surf therapy for people who are mentally, physically or socially disadvantaged.
- Build a research and evidence base to showcase global innovations in surf therapy.
- Build a gold standard, high quality surf therapy interventions servicing various vulnerable populations, prioritizing marginalized communities.
- Mentor upcoming surf therapy program for inclusion into the ISTO network and provide resources.
- Highlight the benefits of being in Nature and it’s therapeutic interventions.
- Promote surf therapy access to landlocked areas using new wave pool technology and expansion in lakes and rivers